Nipigon Reefs PGE Project
For the most current news about Nipigon Reefs, please read our news releases:
Nipigon Reefs is a large property extending over an area 15 x 20 kilometres, with two focus areas with platinum group elements (“PGE”), copper and nickel mineralization. Ten kilometres to the south is the Panoramic Current Lake platinum deposit and fifteen kilometres to the northwest is North American Palladiums’ PGE mine. The Nipigon Reefs property is only 60 kilometres north-northeast of Thunder Bay. Within Nipigon Reefs is an extensive differentiated ultramafic – mafic rocks complex with layers enriched in PGE, chromite and magnetite. Most work has been targeted at the Seagull platinum deposit where more than fifty drill holes have probed the complex, with many intersecting PGEs characterized by a highly platinum-rich ratio with palladium. The Seagull Property was acquired as part of an Option Agreement with Black Panther Mining Corp., Trillium North Minerals Ltd. and Rainy Mountain Royalty Corp in February 2011.
Minfocus completed four diamond drill holes into the Seagull target area in February – March 2012 which confirmed the continuation of the layered mineralized system and anomalous PGE values as shown in the accompanying sections. Some assays have been reported in a recent press release and more core sampling is underway.
The Springlet Lake prospect was originally staked by Minfocus east of the Seagull claims to cover an area with the highest PGE element anomalies in the whole of an Ontario Government lake sediment survey that covered hundreds of square kilometres of Nipigon gabbro – Midcontinent Rift terrain. Three lakes were identified as being most anomalous and grids were cut over two of the anomalies, facilitating geochemical and geophysical surveys which confirmed and extended the geochemical anomalies and identified magnetic anomalies. In June 2010 an initial diamond drilling program probed some of the anomalies and revealed a thin cover of flat-lying, mid-Proterozoic red Sibley sediments overlying Archean granites and gneisses. Intruding the sediments is a sill of mid-late Proterozoic (Keweenawan?) ultramafic rock, an altered olivine peridotite which was intersected in 8 of the 12 holes. The sill was characterized by two or more pulses of magma intrusion with the latter phase displaying visible copper mineralisation and associated anomalous platinum and palladium values. This last intrusive phase is the key mineralising host at the Current Lake deposit to the south, where a deposit of 9.06 million tonnes (measured and indicated) grading 2.43g/t platinum equivalent has been announced recently. Further work is planned to trace the direction of intrusion flow and potential for thicker accumulations of this late-phase material on the Springlet Lake property, as well as initiating surveys in the area of the third lake sediment anomaly.
In November 2012, Gerald Harper gave a presentation at the Ontario Exploration & Geoscience Symposium about the property. A PDF of the handout can be downloaded here.
In October 2013, Graham Wilson and Gerald Harper wrote (and Gerald presented) a paper on the project as part of the University of Minnesota Duluth Precambrian Research Center’s Professional Workshop & Field Course on Copper, Nickel, & Platinum Group Element Deposits of the Lake Superior Region (October 6-13, 13-20, 2013). A PDF of the handout can be downloaded here.
Assessment Reports Submitted to MNDM:
- Report on Geological Mapping and Pitting on Upper Wolf Lake Area Mineral Claims (August 2013)
- Report on Drill Core Assaying, SG Determinations, Petrography and Physical Work on Seagull Lake Area Mineral Claims (Approved January 2013)
- Report on Diamond Drilling on Springlet Lake Area Mineral Claims (Approved July 2012)
- Report on Diamond Drilling on Seagull Lake Area Mineral Claims (Approved June 2012)
- Minfocus Options Coral Zinc Project in British Columbia Containing a Large Untested Zinc Geochemical Anomaly With Nearby Historic Drilling and Trenching Results
- Minfocus Exploration Options the BC Myst Metals Nickel Project, Provides Exploration Update on the Nipigon Reefs PGE Project, and Reports the 2014 Annual General Meeting Results
- Minfocus Exploration Announces Extension of Option Agreements, Closing of Private Placement Tranches and Results of Field Work on Chief Peter and Nipigon Reefs Projects